It was Raja Ravi Varma who first started painting Hindu deities in a suitable form with proportionate bodies, appropriate features and ornaments in natural colours. The classic painting of Saraswati, Goddess of knowledge and wisdom, painted in 1896, is reproduced as an embellished oleograph, created using fabric and zari. Ravi Varma maintained the description of the goddess given in the Holy Scriptures like the four hands- two holding a veena, symbolising perfection in arts and music, a conch, and a rosary in the other. Her mount, the peacock, symbolises beauty and truth. The image of Saraswati is iconic in its visualization all over the world and remains one of the most popular Raja Ravi Varma prints till today. For patrons of Indian Art, the name Raja Ravi Varma has been familiar for more than a century. A depiction of the civilization of classical times, Ravi Varma’s style of painting played a foundational role in defining Indian imagery and left behind a brilliant legacy of academic realism.
Share this product
"These original Raja Ravi Varma Press oleographs have survived several decades and show signs of wear and tear. This does not in any way detract from their beauty or value. Rest assured that you’re holding a relic from history in your hands.
These paintings are sold framed. They come in individual wooden frames, with mount and glass. Avoid direct sunlight."
- 5 to 7 working days for ready products
- 4 to 6 weeks for Made To Order items
- Made to order items cannot be returned or exchanged
- Returns accepted within 7 days of delivery in case of damaged goods
- Shipping within India is without any extra charges
- International Orders:
- Shipping costs may vary depending on volume of item purchased, as well as method and location of delivery
- To obtain a shipping quote, click on Request More Information and provide us your details. Within 48 hours, you will receive a shipping quote via email for your approval.
- International Orders are shipped on a DDU (Delivery Duty Unpaid) basis
- Customs duties may apply to international purchases
This section of our website is dedicated to desirable collectibles that refrain from traditional design definitions, handpicked by our curatorial team from across the globe. These include unusual vintage finds, objects sought out from artisans or emerging designers and work commissioned by us. Whether you are a veteran or a fledgling collector, we have some truly exceptional pieces-classic & contemporary, analogous to varied tastes and interests. Discovered and selected for their ingenuity and masterful details, each object exudes an effortless poise. From the acclaimed Raja Ravi Varma embellished prints to local treasures like thikri and marble art, we bring a plethora of rare art pieces to you that would otherwise remain relatively inaccessible. Thehouseofthings brings you a curated forum-the finest source for exploring and collecting extraordinary collectibles.View more details