The classic painting of Saraswati, Goddess of knowledge and wisdom, painted in 1896, is reproduced as an embellished oleograph from the Raja Ravi Varma Printing Press in Lonavla, created using fabric and zari. Ravi Varma maintained the description of the goddess given in the Holy Scriptures like the four hands- two holding a veena, symbolising perfection in arts and music, a conch, and a rosary in the other. Her mount, the peacock, symbolises beauty and truth. The image of Saraswati is iconic in its visualization all over the world and remains one of the most popular Raja Ravi Varma prints till today. For patrons of Indian Art, the name Raja Ravi Varma has been familiar for more than a century. A depiction of the civilization of classical times, Ravi Varma’s style of painting played a foundational role in defining Indian imagery and left behind a brilliant legacy of academic realism.
Share this product
Care & Instructions:
- These original Raja Ravi Varma Press oleographs have survived several decades and show signs of wear and tear. This does not in any way detract from their beauty or value. Rest assured that you’re holding a relic from history in your hands.
- These paintings are sold framed. They come in individual wooden frames, with mount and glass. Avoid direct sunlight.
- This unique artwork has been handpainted by skilled artists. Hence, it may contain slight imperfections which are the hallmarks of handmade creations.
- The product will be dispatched within 5 to 7 working days.
- Made to order items cannot be returned or exchanged
- Returns accepted within 7 days of delivery in case of damaged goods
- Shipping within India is without any extra charges
- International Orders:
- Shipping costs may vary depending on volume of item purchased, as well as method and location of delivery
- To obtain a shipping quote, click on Request More Information and provide us your details. Within 48 hours, you will receive a shipping quote via email for your approval.
- International Orders are shipped on a DDU (Delivery Duty Unpaid) basis
- Customs duties may apply to international purchases
Bejewelled, inlaid, or hand-painted - the lines get blurred when the objects you adorn your home with are as beautiful as these. Handpicked by our curatorial team from across the globe, RARE is dedicated to desirable collectibles that refrain from traditional design definitions. Designed to inject high impact in your living spaces, these artful additions include objects sought out from artisans or emerging designers, and work commissioned by us. From unexampled tapestries to unique local treasures like thikri and marble art, explore the versatile range curated by our in-house specialists.View more details