Standing's personal mythologies intertwine his African heritage creating a dreamlike surreal quality to this work. His use of mark-making plays a means to an end - he stains the canvas, wipes away the paint, creates patterns similar to African batik cloth. The idea of map making, topographies, and celestial road maps, all linkages to the intangible and sacred, becomes evident.
Share this product
Oil on linen
- 4 to 6 weeks for Made To Order items
- Made to order items cannot be returned or exchanged
- Returns accepted within 7 days of delivery in case of damaged goods
- Shipping within India is without any extra charges
- International Orders:
- Shipping costs may vary depending on volume of item purchased, as well as method and location of delivery
- To obtain a shipping quote, click on Request More Information and provide us your details. Within 48 hours, you will receive a shipping quote via email for your approval.
- International Orders are shipped on a DDU (Delivery Duty Unpaid) basis
- Customs duties may apply to international purchases
Marc Standing has had a life well travelled. Having been born and raised in Africa, Standing then immigrated to Australia, after which he spent six years in Hong Kong. He currently lives in London. Driven by an innate compulsion to paint, Standing explores tensions felt by a personal search for identity, embodied by complexities felt by a mass consciousness - one which has been left with toxic traces of colonialism. The other-worldly layering of textures and imagery evoke a surreal clarity in the viewer using a palette and compositional platform, exploring the tensions felt between light and dark; comfort and discomfort; a sense of belonging, and a sense of void.
Standing's works have been shown extensively throughout Australia, Hong Kong and Shanghai and have also been included in prominent Australian art prizes, as well as a commission work for The Groucho Club in London, a nominee for the Sovereign Asian Art Prize, and acquired by Artbank in Australia. He has taken part in residencies in Mexico and the Philippines and is artist in residence at Amilla Fushi in the Maldives.View more details